post signature
I have hesitated to share this with everyone for some time, but decided to share today. On March 10th of this year I was diagnosed with Stage 3a Invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC) ER& PR Positive Grade 2 breast cancer on my right breast, I have two tumors that combined are 7 cm with one lymph node at 2.5 cm. I have been going every year since I was 40 to get my mammogram last year my mammogram was clear and one year later they found the mass and the biopsy confirmed it. I am not one to do my month self exam so ladies please make sure you do your monthly exams and yearly mammograms. 
After talking with my surgeon and oncologist we have mapped out a treatment plan which started at the end of March. I had a PET/CT scan to determine if the cancer had spread to other parts of my body, which it has not. I will have two different rounds of chemo each lasting 3 months; the first round is Taxol which I receive every week for 12 treatments. My second round will be Adriamycin and Cytoxan this will be give every three weeks for 4 treatments. I should be starting that in late June. I had a port catheter placed in my chest for the chemo and on March 31st started the first round of chemo and as of today I am mid way through my first round of treatments. So far the side effects have been mild other than the insomnia (steroid), fatigue and some nausea it has been an interesting ride. I have been able to work through this which I thank God for every morning and on bad days I just take a little rest and meditate. When chemo is done I will have a mastectomy along with radiation. 
This diagnosis at first scared the hell out of me, you go in one day for a biopsy thinking it is nothing to hearing the words you have breast cancer here are the names of the surgeon you need to see and then a couple of weeks of doctor visits, test, surgery for port placement. I was unable to sleep for 2 solid weeks out of fear of the unknown, but by the grace of God, my family, co-workers and friends I made it through the darkness with a better understand of my strength. After see my cardiologist to clear me for my chemo I hugged him when he gave the green light I was so happy to start chemo because then I had a mission. I look at this as just another journey that life has made me take it will be hard sometimes, joyful others and painful, but it is now my new normal. They say that attitude is the key to fight and even in the darkest hours you have to believe that the light is stronger than the fear, smile and chat I will win, I will overcome the fear and I believe. Laugh, cry, dance, sing and write, live your truth and make no apologies if you have to tell someone to screw off, because in the end you matter more than the cancer trying to get you. Every day is a precious moment just sitting outside with my sister while camping is the best thing ever, because in that moment I can sit listening to nature sing to me and know that I am ok and I will survive this. 
If you have someone in your life fighting like the champion they are let them know that they are in my prayers and Keep Calm and Kick Cancers Ass.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great International Stash Busting Giveaway

Into Waters Unknown-January Edition Happy Homemaker Tag Swap

A Rose By Any Other Name: February’s Happy Homemaker Tag Along